Overview of the GRI Designation
The Graduate REALTOR® Institute (GRI) symbol is the mark of a real estate professional who has made a commitment to providing a superior level of professional services by earning the GRI designation.
REALTORS® with the GRI designation are highly trained in many areas of real estate to better serve and protect their clients. For further information about the GRI designation go to http://www.realtor.org/designations-and-certifications/gri-designation.
Fast Track Program
If you're thinking about earning the GRI designation - consider the IAR School of Real Estate's Designation Fast Track Program. This unique program allows you to earn both the GRI and and additional designations in about a year. Read more
How to Earn the GRI Designation
To receive the GRI Designation you must complete the courses listed below. The courses may be completed in any order, but must be accomplished within 5 years of your application date. Please also note the Designation Requirements section below.
Required Courses (5):
- GRI 103 - Acting with Integrity
- GRI 104 - Money, Taxes, and Real Estate
- GRI 105 - Federal and Iowa Laws
- GRI 106 - Plan For Your Success
- GRI 107 - Financing for Today's Buyers
Choose one course from each topic of technology, working with buyers and working with sellers (3):
- Technology - CRS 206: Technologies to Advance your Business OR e-Pro (days 1 & 2)
- Working with Buyers - Accredited Buyer Representative OR CRS 202: Buyer Sales Strategies
- Working with Sellers - CRS 201: Listing Strategies OR Seller Representation Specialist
Choose one elective (1):
- Accredited Buyer Representative
- Certified Negotiation Expert
- CRS 200: Business Planning & Marketing for Residential Specialist
- CRS 201: Listing Strategies for the Residential Specialist
- CRS 202: Buyer Sales Strategies
- CRS 204: Buying & Selling Income Properties
- CRS 205: Financing Solutions to Close the Deal
- CRS 206: Technologies to Advance Your Business
- CRS 210: Building an Exceptional Customer Service Referral Business
- e-Pro (days 1 & 2)
- Land 101
- Seller Representation Specialist
- Seniors Real Estate Specialist
(You may choose an unused alternate offering for tech, buyers and sellers as your elective.)
The IAR School of Real Estate offers GRI courses throughout the year. View our Designation Course Schedule.
After completing the above courses, you must submit the GRI Designation Application. Please note the requirements below.
- You must be an active REALTOR® member in good standing to obtain the GRI designation.
- All GRI courses must be completed within 5 years of the starting date of your first GRI class.
- You must complete the GRI designation application in order for your GRI Designation to be awarded.
- A $20 application fee must be included with your application.
- All GRI classes taken through the Iowa Association of REALTORS® and its educational partners are on record with the IAR and are approved for the GRI designation.
- Classes taken from providers other than the Iowa Association of REALTORS® and/or its educational partners can be submitted for review, but are not guaranteed approval for the GRI Designation. Course approval is at the discretion of the Iowa Association of REALTORS®.